Meghan Markle and Harry: Expert discusses royal ‘leaks’
In February, the Duchess of Sussex won her High Court privacy case against Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL), the publisher of The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline over a number of published news articles which printed parts of a handwritten letter she sent her father back in August 2018. The result of the court case meant Mail Online and The Mail on Sunday were ordered to print a front-page statement about Meghan’s win. ANL was also refused permission to appeal against the result, but swiftly applied directly to the Court of Appeal against the order requiring both The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline to publish the statements.
Last month the paper won the right to use a smaller typeface than they were originally told when they print the statement.
Now the Court of Appeal has told Express.co.uk it is also “in receipt of an application for permission to appeal”.
However, the latest request from the paper could still be rejected, which would mean Meghan’s earlier victory would remain intact.
That would also leave only one area of the case still to resolve, which would be a trial over the extent of damages in her copyright claim.
Meghan Markle could be facing another court battle
But ANL is successful in the application to appeal, there could be a full trial on both the copyright and privacy claims.
This would mean Meghan would have to evidence in court by the Mail on Sunday’s lawyers.
She sued ANL for alleged misuse…