PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle’s backyard wedding “did not take place” claims a vicar who said he discussed the event in a phone call with the Archbishop of Canterbury’s office.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex told Oprah Winfrey they had married “in our backyard” on the Wednesday before the lavish public ceremony at Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018.
👑 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest news...
During last week’s bombshell interview, Meghan said: “You know, three days before our wedding, we got married. No one knows that.
“The vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury.”
Later on in the show, Harry said it had been just them and Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby present.
The private service is said to have taken place in the small garden of Nottingham Cottage, the property in the grounds of Kensington Palace where Harry and Meghan were living at the time.
Newcastle vicar Rev Mark Edwards, who was flooded with private wedding requests during the Covid lockdown, contacted the Archbishop’s office after the claims to “get some clarity” on the church’s policy.
But the vicar at St Matthew’s Church, in Dinnington, and St Cuthbert’s Church, in Brunswick, said he was told by a Lambeth…