Prince Harry has revealed his father, the Prince of Wales, stopped taking his calls before he and Meghan stepped back as senior members of the royal family.
The couple spoke to Oprah Winfrey in a tell-all interview on Sunday night in the US amid raised tensions between the couple and the British monarchy.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stunned the royal family in January last year by announcing they would step down from their official royal roles to forge a new, independent life in California.
“When we were in Canada I had three conversations with my grandmother and two conversations with my father before he stopped taking my calls,” Harry said in the interview.
“And then he said can you put this all in writing what your plan is … so I put all the specifics in there even the fact that we were planning on putting the announcement out on the 7th of January.”
When Oprah asked Harry why Charles stopped taking his calls, he said “because by that point I took matters into my own hands”.
“I needed to do this for my family – this is not a surprise to anybody, it’s really sad that it’s got to this point, but I’ve got to do something,” he said.
Harry said while his father is now answering his calls, “there’s a lot to work through there”.
“I feel really let down because he’s been through…