The Duchess of Sussex has accused Buckingham Palace of “perpetuating falsehoods“, alluding to her belief that royal aides leaked stories about her and Prince Harry and failed to defend them from untruths.
In a preview clip from their no-holds-barred interview with Oprah Winfrey the Duchess referred to the Royal family as The Firm, while she acknowledged that speaking out came with “risk” but said a lot had been “lost already” and that they should not be expected to remain silent.
It was the second excerpt of the interview released by US network CBS ahead of the two-hour special, which will be broadcast in the UK on Monday evening on ITV.
The 30-second clip was the first time the Duchess has been heard giving a full answer to one of Ms Winfrey’s questions.
It is thought to have been released in reaction to this week’s revelations that Meghan had been accused of bullying staff, although the interview was recorded before the allegations became public knowledge.
“They obviously want to maximise their content,” a source close to the Duchess said of CBS. “They are very clever at making intoxicating TV.”
The fact that the slickly produced interview is designed to shock has caused consternation in palace quarters, not least as it coincides with the Duke of Edinburgh’s longest ever hospital stay.
Aides have signalled their intention to distance themselves from the programme. One said: “We are trying to maintain a dignified silence. It’s a media circus and we…